Updated 02 March 2017
How Aegon use your personal information
Cookies - for information on what cookies are used on our websites and how to manage them, visit our cookies page.
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when the Aegon UK group (we) collect personal information. This applies to:
- website, mobile portal and app;
- scheme members;
- financial advisers; and
How we treat your personal data
We fully support and follow the principles of Data Protection, as set out in the Data Protection Act ('the Act'). We make sure that our staff – and those acting on our behalf – obtain, use and disclose personal data lawfully and correctly. We don't believe we can operate successfully otherwise. It's also important in making sure everyone we deal with has confidence in us. This policy operates in all of our offices – both in the UK and overseas.
By using appropriate and consistent management and controls, we'll:
- meet our legal obligations to specify what we're using the personal information for in the Scottish Equitable plc Data Protection Notification particulars, which you can find on the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.org.uk
- only collect and process information to the extent that we need it to operate or to comply with a legal requirement
- make sure the information is accurate and of high quality
- apply checks to determine how long the information is held for
- make sure that the people we hold information on can fully exercise their rights under the Act
- safeguard personal information by taking appropriate technical and organisational security measures
- make sure that personal data isn't transferred outside the EEA without suitable safeguards or agreements are in place
Website and mobile portal
· Our online services are:
· Our website – aegon.co.uk
Our mobile portal – retiready.com
· When you visit our website, our web server automatically records the name of your internet service provider, the website from which you visit us, the websites you actually visit and the date and length of your visit.
· Additional personal data is only stored if volunteered by you, for example registration, email alerts and other site features.
Information you give us
For example, we'll ask for personal information to allow us to save your progress if you register to use Retiready. If you then decide to become a customer of Aegon UK, we'll ask you for personal information to verify your identity.
We collect certain personally-identifiable information on our site, such as name, gender, telephone number and email address, about online visitors who choose to register on our Site or participate in our offers and programs. We don't need you to register or provide personally-identifiable information to view our site or access much of its content. But if you register, you may use certain additional features like participating in our interactive communities. Sharing this additional information with us also helps us customise your website experience. In addition, we may use the information you provide us to send you offers and information about Retiready, Aegon UK portfolio of brands and its partners. Here are the ways we collect personally-identifiable information.
To take full advantage of our offers, you may choose to register on our site. In the registration process, we sometimes request certain information (such as your contact information and age) so we can provide you with the communications you request, tailor our Site to better meet your needs and customize our contacts with you.
We use various social media networks, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube etc for more detail please see our social media guidelines.
Contests, competitions and promotions
Our site contains notices of contests, competitions and games that you can enter. We use the information you provide to conduct the promotion for example, to contact you if you're a winner.
When you ask us to send you updates, or other content by e-mail, you may provide us with certain information like your e-mail address so we can fulfil your request.
If you contact us through the Contact us link on this site, we ask you for information such as your first name, e-mail address, and other information, so we can respond to your questions and comments. You may choose to provide additional information.
When you purchase products and services from Retiready, we request your billing information so we can fulfil your request. We use your billing information only to send you the products and services you ordered.
Other site features
We offer visitors to our Site various features for their enjoyment, which we change from time to time. We may ask you to submit certain personally-identifiable information, so we can provide you with these features.
Questionnaires and surveys
We may ask our website visitors and purchasers to complete surveys and opinion polls to provide feedback on activities, attitudes and interests. These surveys help us understand the needs of our visitors and purchasers.
Information collected by automated means
Google Analytics Demographic and Interest Reporting
Aegon receives Demographic and Interest Reports from Google, which include aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about our website traffic regarding visitors' age, gender, and interests. The reports let Aegon see how many of our users visit over a date range, and how their behaviour varies by attribute (e.g., male vs. female). Information regarding these reports is derived by Google from the DoubleClick third-party cookies. This information will not be used for any purpose other than those set out in this Statement. More information on the DoubleClick cookie
Information we get from your use of our services.
We may collect information about the tools that you use and how you use them when you visit a website or call our contact centre. This includes:
We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). We may associate your device identifiers or phone number to your Aegon UK Account.
When you use our services or view content provided by Aegon UK, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our service, such as which tools you used
- telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
- Internet protocol address
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser
· This website may contain links to other websites. If you use the links to leave this website and visit a website operated by a third party, then we don't have any control over that website. So we can't be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide while visiting such websites.
We don't sell personal information or use your personal data for any purposes other than those outlined, unless you authorise it. The Protecting Your Personal Information leaflet will give you more detail.
Aegon Investment Solutions Ltd and Scottish Equitable plc are subsidiary companies of Aegon UK plc. They and other Aegon UK plc subsidiary companies may send you marketing information. Please write to Brand and Marketing Media, Aegon, Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh, EH12 9SE if you don't want to receive this.
If we collect medical data, we may use it to assess any claims you make under the plan, and we'll hold it for as long as we're required to. We may pass it to re-assurers, private investigators, medical professionals and/or healthcare management companies (which would be used to arrange medicals).
We may also use publicly available information during the claims validation process.
We have policies in place, which means that we hold all personal data securely and limit access to those who need to see it. We apply extra security to sensitive personal data, such as medical details.
We're legally obliged to make information available to regulatory bodies or authorities such as the Financial Conduct Authority or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). We may also have to disclose information to comply with money laundering laws and for other purposes, for example detecting crime.
We'll also share permitted relevant information with anyone acting on your behalf (for example a financial adviser) so they can fully carry out their role as agent.
We may also disclose your information to third party organisations who process data on our behalf. This could include processing information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), for example the USA. However, where such processing takes place, appropriate controls are in place to ensure the protection of your information. Those third party organisations may process and store your personal information abroad and may have to disclose it to foreign authorities to help them in their fight against crime and terrorism
We can receive individual planholders' and/or scheme members' personal information from, and provide it to, employers, trustees and financial advisers, as long as we have the appropriate authority. For example, they can:
- request statement of benefits;
- update our records as part of a monthly or yearly renewal of a scheme;
- change their members' personal information; and
- get valuations of policy or membership benefits.
Your rights under the Data Protection Act
You have a number of rights under the Data Protection Act, including:
- the right to get copies of all the personal data that we hold on you, with only a few exceptions
- the right not to receive direct marketing, for example we may provide you with an opt in or opt-out mechanism depending on the requirements of the site's Jurisdiction and the site. An opt-in mechanism will provide you the opportunity to positively indicate that you would like us to send you future communications and we will not send you any unless you have opted-in. An opt-out mechanism will provide you the opportunity to indicate that you do not want us to send you such further communications, and if you opt-out we will not send you any.
Either way, opting-in or opting-out will be up to you and, in addition, if you do not want us to use your personal information for a particular purpose or disclose it to a third party, you may opt out at any time by contacting us as detailed below.
Specific opt-outs may also be provided at the point of collection or along with the communications to you. Please note though, by opting-out, you may not be able to participate in certain activities on our websites.
For Aegon UK customers, if you want a copy of your personal data, please write to Data Protection Officer, Aegon, Lochside Crescent, Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh, EH12 9SE, enclosing your details, a description of the information you want and a cheque for £10, made payable to Aegon UK.
For Aegon Investment Solutions (Aegon Retirement Choices), if you want a copy of your personal data, please write to Aegon Retirement Choices, Lochside Crescent, Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh, EH12 9SE, enclosing your details, a description of the information you want and a cheque for £10, made payable to Aegon UK
We're committed to ensuring your information is protected and held securely. However, the internet is not a secure medium and we can't accept responsibility for the security of an email during transmission or for non-delivery of that email.
There are a few simple steps you can take to protect your computer and internet connection – view our tips here.
We've put security policies, rules and technical measures in place to protect the personal data that we have under our control from:
- unauthorised access
- improper use or disclosure
- unauthorised modification
- unlawful destruction or accidental loss
All our employees and data processors who have access to, and are associated with, handling our visitors' personal data are obliged to respect its confidentiality.
Aegon UK Corporate Services Limited is the data controller of any information you give us. We'll only use this information for assessing your application against the selection criteria for the particular position you've applied for, and for processing your application throughout that selection process.
We may use internet and social media searches to perform due diligence on candidates in the course of recruitment. Where we do so, we will comply with all applicable data protection, employment and equality legislation.
We'll treat your personal information in confidence and won't disclose it to any third parties, except where:
- permitted by law or by our regulator
- an agency is used by us as part of the employment screening process, including background checks, criminal history and credit referencing checks
- you've given prior consent
- we need to share it with companies in the Aegon UK Group as part of the selection and application process
We'll keep your CV and the results of any screening processes for 3 months after the conclusion of the recruitment process. If your application is successful, we'll keep the information and hold it during your employment.
We will not hold your information any longer than we require to, but we may retain some information (for example relating to HMRC records) for up to 6 years following termination of employment. Our Data Protection Policy means that we hold all personal data securely and limit access to those who need to see it. We apply extra security to sensitive personal data, such as medical data and results of criminal checks.
You have the right to request a copy of the personal data we hold about you. If you want a copy of your personal data, please write to Data Protection Officer, Aegon, Lochside Crescent, Edinburgh Park, Edinburgh, EH12 9SE, enclosing your details, a description of the information you want and a cheque for £10, made payable to Aegon UK.
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy statement was last updated on 28 April 2014.